Applying for Director of Special Projects within President office
About the Associated Students of UCSD (ASUCSD)
The Associated Students of the University of California, San Diego are the elected and appointed representatives of the UC San Diego student body. The ASUCSD works to promote student engagement through its services and leadership opportunities. The ASUCSD seeks to foster a cohesive community through active interaction and communication with students, the administration, and the greater San Diego Community. Our mission is to facilitate and encourage students to grow and develop through their involvement in student government, its services and auxiliaries. We promote student engagement in all areas of campus life through leadership, advocacy, and service in order to build and strengthen our community.
About the President: Director of Special Projects
The Office of the President aims to collaboratively and strategically move UC San Diego forward in the best interests of students into a student-centered institution. Seeks to create a community within UC San Diego where students are empowered to take initiative and are determined to work for their communities. Following through with the commitments made to UCSD students is a priority of this office. Will be tackling issues of basic needs, address university investments, student life, well-being, access & retention, transparency, campus planning, sustainability, and holistic safety among many other concerns.
Goals and Projects for 2017-18
Description of Position
- Shall be the lead project director of the Univer(City) Initiative from the Office of the President. The campaign will serve to educate and engage the campus community in the “rooted unviersity” discourse. The idea that this institution is similar the functionality of a city and how people interact with the institution can become engaged in the decisions of the their “city” while also being aware of the surrounding community and how UC San Diego is a key driver to influencing the local and regional community in San Diego.
- Shall assist in bridging and communicating information to the UCSD residential communities to engage communities in campus planning efforts
- Shall work with the Director of Outreach to create short digital videos to explain to the campus community, campus planning projects
- Will work the Center of Community Health to incorporate education of health and restorative justice training among the campus community
- Shall conduct one educational collaborative event per quarter to address holistic societal projects such as: decolonial food systems, Co-operatives, re-thinking education, student political identity, fair wages, regenerative economies, sustainable city planning, history of social movements, transportation justice, prison industrial complex and non-profit industrial complex and Trans Queer Liberation teach-ins, and/ or other educational event along similar themes.
- Participate in bimonthly staff development meetings
- Participate in bimonthly one-on-one meetings with the Chief of Staff